Join our staff of dedicated educators.
For more than 55 years Greenville Literacy Association (GLA) has served the Upstate region. Today, we deliver services that provide numeracy, literacy, high school equivalency (GED), English language acquisition, digital literacy, work readiness training, and wrap-around services to adults 17 years of age and older.
As a federally funded (WIOA Title II) program GLA is held to the highest state and national standards for adult education as monitored by the South Carolina Department for Education – Office of Adult Education. GLA has achieved or exceeded student performance measures consistently over the past three years.
View our job listings below:
Book Sale Intern
The largest annual fundraiser for the agency is “The Really Good, Really Big, Really Cheap Book Sale” to be held August 12-14, 2022. It is the largest used book sale in the State of South Carolina. The fundraiser provides funding to offer classes to our adult students. The Book Sale also creates awareness of adult literacy needs in the community and assists us in enlisting tutors as well as recruiting students.
Internship Qualifications: A person interested in adult literacy, non-profit organization management or marketing/fundraising/event planning would benefit from this experience. The person must be able to help organize and move large quantities of books, have reliable transportation, and have good communication and people skills. The person will learn from and work alongside community volunteers who manage this event.
The primary responsibilities of the internship include the following:
- Take part in the planning, organizing, and implementation of the book sale.
- Work with staff, board members, volunteers, and book donors to provide efficient transfer of books to the book room.
- Have opportunities to work independently as well as prioritize and complete assigned daily responsibilities.
- Attend book sale steering committee meetings.
- Support social media promotions of the book sale.
- Help organize volunteer data/enrollment
- Distribute posters, fliers, and collection boxes in the community as needed.
- Collect books from community donation sites as needed.
- Help scan, sort, price, and organize donated books.
- Assist with packing and storing boxed books.
- Assist with set-up for the sale.
- Be a section leader for one area of the sale. This includes set up, preview party, and day of sale.
- Help organize unsold books after the sale.
- If there is interest on the Intern’s part, GLA will provide an opportunity to meet with the Executive Director to learn about GLA marketing strategies and processes
Pay: $13.00 per/hour
Hours/Days per week: Up to 20 hours a week: Monday, Tuesday, and Friday 9:00 am – 4:00 pm — Wednesday and Thursday 11:00 am – 5:00 pm. Times are subject to change.
Location: Greenville Literacy Association
225 S. Pleasantburg Drive, Suite C-10
Greenville, SC 29607