How To Help
GLA works in partnership with United Way of Greenville County, Greenville Technical College, University Center, Goodwill Industries, United Ministries, Miracle Hill Industries, Department of Employment's One Stop Centers, Lifelong Learning, and many churches and community centers.
There are many ways to support the programs Greenville Literacy offers to the community. Funds may be given in memory of a person, in honor of someone, or as a general donation. All donations are tax deductible.
Greenville Literacy Association always needs new volunteers. Flexible volunteer opportunities are available to teach reading, writing, math, computer skills, Pre-GED (Social Studies, Science), and English as a Second Language to adult students.
- Donation Wish List - Check our Wish List regularly for possibilities for in-kind donations such as student supplies.
- Book Sale - Volunteer for The Really Good, Really Big, Really Cheap Book Sale.
- Sponsorship - Contact us to learn more about corporate sponsorship.
- Buy Event Tickets - Currently, there are no events requiring ticket purchase.
Our Mission and Vision
Greenville Literacy Association’s mission is to enrich our community by increasing the literacy and employability of our citizens.
Our vision: Educate, Enrich, Empower.
Greenville Literacy Association is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.
How To Donate Funds
Greenville Literacy Association is PayPal verified. We use the secure PayPal website to accept online donations. To donate via PayPal, click on the Donate button below.
We also use the secure website JustGive.org to process our online donations. Follow the link below to donate to Greenville Literacy through JustGive.org.
What Your Contribution Can Provide
- $80 will cover a scholarship for one student's fees for a year
- $150 will pay for one student to take the GED test
- $750 will fund the entire cost of educating one student for one year
- $930 will buy 15 subscriptions to "News for You" - a current events newsletter created specifically for low literacy adults to use as part of their literacy training
- $4999 will buy GED software seats for independent study to augment the classroom experience. These seats can be used by 25 students at a time, but in total, many more than 25 can make use of this new learning tool.
We could not possibly provide the services we do without our community’s generous giving of itself as volunteers. In addition to tutoring, we receive countless hours in donated time for the annual Book Sale, sending out mailings and performing general office tasks. Please consider spending some time with us. Every minute helps. See below for volunteer opportunities.
Adult Basic Education (ABE) Volunteer Tutor
Teach reading, writing, math, computer skills, or Pre-GED (Social Studies, Science) to small groups or an individual.
English as a Second Language (ESL) Volunteer Tutor
Teach English to non-native speakers in small groups.
Computer Lab Volunteer
Assist students working on instructional software in the computer lab.
Special Projects Volunteer
Help with mailings, fundraisers, or clerical type work.